Tuesday 23 August 2016

Last Dance On The Beach.


As regular readers of my blog will know I'm a great fan of crochet/knit alongs, you will have noticed however that I haven't followed one for a while in fact I think the last one I did was the Cheerful Child Blanket which I finished back in February.  I've had other things to occupy me challenges to be met, requests from various charities for things in need but throughout all this I have been keeping my eye out for the perfect man blanket for a friend and have given all CALs no more than a glance until now.

This one in particular has touched my heart because it was the last design from our dear blogging friend Wink from A Creative Being.  I knew that she had been working on this before she passed and her blog friends came together to complete this beautiful Last Dance On The Beach CAL in her memory and I think that they have done her proud.  

The CAL is now over and the finished blankets are appearing en masse on Facebook and they are beautiful. I have decided to make one for my friends birthday because this will be a lovely blanket for anyone, every single block is special. I have until February to complete this so there's no rush.

here is the square from week one ....



This was designed by Esther from Happy In Red and it's a lovely easy block, I'm making two of these.

I have several balls of Poundstretcher yarn in my stash  it's labelled as Aran but it works up like chunky and I have added a few balls of stylecraft special chunky to the mix, I have to play around with hook sizes to get the correct size but it is working so far. 
This one was made with poundstretcher yarn in olive green and I used a 5.50 mm hook and it's turned out at ten inches square.

You can find all the information and all the patterns here

Has anyone else done this CAL I would love to see your blanket ot squares and would anyone like to join me? I plan on making a set of three squares each week.  It would make a great Christmas gift.


Dailier's from my garden.







 photo e69a549e-0e33-465a-b88b-a6ebe916eaaa_zps34480328.jpg

15 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this CAL. It will make a lovely gift. I'm still working away on the Mandala Madness CAL, still a long way to go on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda, this looks like a fun CAL. And, I'm sure your dear friend will cherish such a special gift. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a sad day when we lost Wink, I make a few of her Fat Bottomed bags every year for various charity events. I have not made the blanket up and have a full list right now but perhaps in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This block is so much fun to do. Nice that you also are going to do the blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a lovely pattern, Linda!! Good luck with the CAL! Your flowers are beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahem, it's actually 'Esther' from Happy in Red ;-) But SOOOOOO glad you are joining the CAL. Have fun, it's an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha of course it is so sorry Esther I have changed it, how can you tell that I wrote this post in a hurry. xx

      Delete
  7. That is beautiful Linda and what a lovely tribute. Thank you for the pattern links-I will have a look now xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pattern !!!
    And lovely flowers !
    Have a great day !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Linda, I think that the blanket will be beautiful and I love that stitching. I have never done a CAL as I just don't have the time between family life, doing the charity knit/crochet for church and all but it sounds like fun.

    I have not had any knit/crochet mojo this summer as I'm enjoying it too much. I did knit a little ear phone case for my ear phone while visiting my mom and she was sitting knitting socks which was fun.

    Those are such pretty colored flowers from you garden.

    Take care and enjoy the end of the week.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really nice... And I am so sorry to hear about your dear friend ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sure your friend will love this blanket. I have just finished mine and managed to photograph it on the beach while on holiday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have inspired me. I have never done a CAL, but it would be a perfect way to improve my novice crochet skills.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Linda for sharing your pretty stitching with us at Cooking and Crafting with J&J. Enjoy the week.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a neat story! :)

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, I will always answer any questions but due to time constraints I'm not always able to reply to your comments, please keep them coming I read and appreciate each and every one. xx