Tuesday 9 June 2015

Crochet Kitchen Towel/Dishcloth Pattern.

I didn't enter the world of homemade dishcloths until last year, here in England most of us just buy them or as in my case use old towels,  the thought of making a dishcloth seemed like a waste of time to me but I was intrigued because so many of you make them and love them.. 




so I made some to try out and since then they have been on trial, I have been using them all the time and I have come to the conclusion that I love them and have been completely converted not only are they great to use but they are great to make too.  

Then I got to thinking why not towels too I know it's easy to buy a towel but by making my own I could make it the size I wanted and it would be super thick and absorbent too and in colours that matched my kitchen...


crochet towel pattern, dishcloths

I like it a lot it's so soft and fits nicely over the handle of my cooker.



The inspiration for the stitch for the towel came while I was making one of the squares from the 200 crochet blocks book by Jan Eaton. I realised that the closed texture of this stitch was perfect for towels, dishcloths and potholders and has been probably used for this purpose by many of you but this is how I made mine.

Materials
I used 
170 grams Drops Love you 5 in shades forest green - red - orange - off white but any aran weight 100% cotton would do (My favourite is lily sugar n cream)
5.00 mm hook

Pattern is in US terms for Uk terms just substitute sc with dc.
work a 49 chain, 

1st Row - sc in 2nd chain from hook and and in each chain across = 48sc, 2ch turn.

2nd Row - miss 1st st, 2sc in second st, *miss next st, 2 sc in next st* repeat from * to* to the end of the row 2 chain turn.

(you are working 2sc in the second sc of each 2sc group on each row and ending each row with a 2 chain turn)

Repeat row two until you have the length you require, then work a sc edging all around the towel.

I worked 68 rows and my towel measures 31cms wide and 42cms long.

Here it is basking in the sunshine. :)




Of course I had to make some matching dishcloths.





To make these I began with a 31 chain and used the same method as above.




I'm now going to make a red towel with contrasting stripes yes beware towel/dishcloth making is addictive. :)  

© Linda Solaiman 2015

find a print friendly version here

 photo e69a549e-0e33-465a-b88b-a6ebe916eaaa_zps34480328.jpg

26 comments:

  1. It certainly is addictive! The set looks great, nice practical colours for lots of use in the kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Linda, what a wonderful set! ♥ So beautiful. And what an easy stitch, great! I must definitely keep that in mind. I have to admit I'm still not using dishcloths up to now because I like the washing-up brushs more. But the cloths are so fun to make! And I like these handmade towels a lot! I started one last summer, but the knitted way. Maybe that's the reason why it's not finished and laying around somewhere.... I'm thinking about frogging and trying a new one in crochet :o). Have a nice day! Nata xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few days ago I also saw this stitch and loved the closed texture, too =) So I made two little baskets with it...
    Greetings from Austria!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such a neat idea for towels/dishcloths! I like making them for friends who are getting married, so it's always good to have a new pattern on hand. Yours are really pretty.;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful towels and washcloths, Linda :-) I love the colors. Thanks for sharing your pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great Linda! I've been making my own dishcloths for the past few years too, and I love them so much better than the ones you buy in the store. It's nice to make the mundane chore a little special with a homemade item. Your towel looks great! I've been thinking of making a few towels too, but haven't got around to it yet. Did you use 100% cotton for these cloths & towels? I like your choice of colours for all of them :)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did Wendy but this particular cotton I found is not as absorbent as the lily sugar n cream so I will be using that next time. :) x

      Delete
  7. Love the towel. Dishcloths are quite addictive. So easy to make and give with some homemade muffins or cookies. Or as a washcloth with a bar of handmade soap. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful!
    Have a nice week.:*

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea! They all look so good and it is nice that they coordinate with your kitchen too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Linda, wow I love your dish towel and dishcloths you made! I would love to try and make them with your pattern. Summertime is the perfect time of year to make them. Thanks for linking up to Cooking & Crafting with J&J.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so pretty! :)

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful towel, Linda !!:) I like the design and colors too for all your pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love making and using my own dishcloths. For quite a while (including just this morning) I've been thinking about crocheting towels. Wondering would it be worth the effort. Your towel looks really great. There are some gorgeous aran weight cottons available so I must give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They all look lovely. I've also heard that face cloths are much better than the bought equivalent. I'll have to give some a try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely towel and dishcloths !!!!
    Have a great day !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  16. They are so pretty, Linda. I am so glad you introduced me to Jan Eaton's books. I have always felt that crochet dishcloths are too pretty to use, which is why I haven't made any. Maybe I should!

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are wonderful Linda.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your towel and cloths. I taught myself to crochet last year and can manage to crochet a granny square but when I tried to crochet a cloth I couldn't keep the edges straight. I will have another try after seeing your lovely makes. Joan at www.aviewtothefells.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. They look beautiful, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome! I crocheted a dishtowel once, but it wasn't exactly what I wanted or envisioned...I didn't use cotton, but acrylic and bet that makes a HUGE difference. Pinning for later!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing at my Link up last week.
    You are welcome to join me again today

    ReplyDelete
  22. Is this a US pattern?
    So it's a sc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a US pattern and is worked in single crochet.

      Delete
  23. love theses towels..was wondering wat the multiple is for this pattern..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy a multiple of two plus one for starting chain.

      Delete

Thank you for your visit, I will always answer any questions but due to time constraints I'm not always able to reply to your comments, please keep them coming I read and appreciate each and every one. xx