Wednesday 17 June 2015

A totally scrappy endeavour Part One

Sometimes you need to make something easy, a kind of pick it up and just get on with it project that takes no thinking about, especially when you have more complicated projects on the go or several which is usually the case with me. Something you can work on while you are watching TV or when you have company, a push it in your bag and take it with you kind of project that you can work on in the bus, on a train or in a coffee shop.

Sometimes you look at your stash and you despair, we all love yarn true but it can get out of control and sometimes you wonder what on earth am I going to do with all these little bits.



 I have the answer well it worked for me anyway, just before I went into the hospital I was concerned about all of the above, mostly I knew that I would want to work on something that didn't need too much brain power when I came home, so I went on the hunt, looking for every last little pesky ball of yarn nothing would escape me...

There was much more than this believe me!
rounding it all up was the easy bit, then came the untangling, then the sorting into same weight yarn, I had bits of 4 ply, Aran weight and Dk all playing away happily together stuffed into bags, drawers in fact in every conceivable place.

Now, how would you like a project that is made up of lots of colours but without the weaving in of ends? sound too good to be true? well it can be done!...

This was the fun bit I have been dying to try out this method for ages the so called magic knot if you have never heard of it then check it out here it's great and it works but if you don't like the idea of knots in your work try the Russian Join a bit more fiddly but even more secure than the magic knot. (thanks Una for pointing this out to me)



All balls of yarn standing to attention in random order it takes a bit of courage it really does our orderly mind will say surely not those two colours together ignore it if you can and just go with the flow and keep joining those cute little balls until you have one huge ball of this variegated yarn or as huge a ball as you can comfortably handle and carry about with you, or you could have several huge balls I have. 

So what am I making with it?....

A totally Scrappy Blanket...


  
this is my blanket so far, I made a long chain and just worked row after row of (htr Uk) (hdc US) with the odd row of (fptr UK) (fpdc US) at intervals for interest.  I really don't think that the people who receive this blanket are going to care that it is full of magic knots or that there are several colours in each row.


This blanket is at my side just to pick up and put down it's not going to finish any time soon and that's okay it's serving a purpose both for me and for the people who will eventually use it either to cover themselves with or to sit down on I hope that all the colours will brighten their day just a little.



A totally scrappy endeavor Part Two coming soon.


Linking with

Snickerdoodle Sunday
Handmade Monday - Creative Tuesday -Cooking and crafting with JJ -  Eyeloveknots - Link and share Wednesday - Lunamon Designhookin on hump day




 photo e69a549e-0e33-465a-b88b-a6ebe916eaaa_zps34480328.jpg

28 comments:

  1. What a great idea. The blanket looks so jolly. I hate it when you have bits and pieces leftover but it seems such a pity to just throw them out. I love to use all my yarn right down to the last centimetre. I may just try this idea myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is fantastic Linda, and what a great way to use up all of your different yarns!!!! I am sure that whoever the new owner is they will love it and be grateful for the wonderful mix of colours it will bring to their life. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blanket. I have several at home also made from scraps (my mother knits a lot, so she always has scraps to pass along), but none came out as pretty and as colorful as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stash buster. It must have felt good getting all that yarn under control too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good idea for using up left over scraps of wool. Whoever has the finished blanket will be a very lucky person, it is beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I looked at the video and there are some very interesting comments after it. I think I prefer the safer Russian join method. But maybe you just have the knack with the magic knot. Your blanket is certainly looking marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Russian join is brilliant too Una, I think it depends on yarn type the magic knot seems to work very well with acrylics, I will try the Russian join next and compare. :)

      Delete
  7. A beautiful way to use colorful yarns...
    Have a lovely day !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful! I just want to give you a big hug!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it linda. I have used that know method before and it is amazing.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great idea, Linda. I have a lot of ends and I usually end up making something small like a table mat when I get too many. I should just save them longer and make a blanket. Yours is looking good so far! Hope you're having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blanket is very colorful, Linda!! Great use of scraps:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic - I hate those pesky odd balls they cause me loss of sleep always trying to use them up before starting a new ball ... But you've shown us an answer xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it looks beautiful. So many colors to match whatever room you decide to put it in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a wonderful idea Linda!!! Now I know what to do with all of mine. Yours is just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Linda, you're really inspiring :-). I saw these magic balls too here and there and always thought I should try this. Just a few days ago while I was searching for a special sock yarn I came across several leftovers of the yarn I'm making the charity hats ect. with. Now today when I see your fantastic blanket I'm tempted to have a look again and put those leftovers together for exactly that purpose :-). We'll see!! Thanks a lot for the link to that magic knot video. I will keep this in mind and try it out! Can't wait to see your lovely blanket finished, it's wonderful ♥ and I'm sure you will make someone very happy with it :-). Have a cozy weekend! Nata xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome idea. The blanket is coming beautifully. I think I need to make one of these with my stash. Linda, I think I must have missed a post of yours because I don´t remeber reading about you going to the hospital. I hope you are ok now. God bless ♥ Ana BC

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great blanket - and a great way to use up leftover yarn. Love all the cheerful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great way to use up all the leftovers, I might have to make myself a knitted one (since I can't crochet!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great idea! I'm a thrifty person...I don't like throwing away anything that could be used for something, but also don't like clutter. I have my little partial balls sitting in a basket. I love finding ways to use them up! No way will I throw them away!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really love this colorful crocheted blanket you are making with scrap yarn Linda! Thank you for sharing this at our Cooking and Crafting with J & J party. Have a nice day and week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great way to use up all your scraps. Very pretty blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have one of these stashes too! Im currently using up my stash to make an Attic 24 style granny stripe blanket. I love your idea too and now i REALLY want to try out that magic join method! I might have to view that link. Thanks for sharing your post! Xox

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a neat idea!

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Waste not, want not and the blanket idea is a really good one. Love how the colours all blend and it looks just right

    ReplyDelete
  25. A wonderful way to use up all the bits and bobs of leftover yarn, it looks great with the array of colours.
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh how I love this scrappy blanket. I have never heard of magic knots, what a cool idea. Must look this up and use it for my own yarn scrap pile.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, I will always answer any questions but due to time constraints I'm not always able to reply to your comments, please keep them coming I read and appreciate each and every one. xx