Friday 21 March 2014

Block a week Friday



Block 14 Troika



A fair-isle pattern which is worked from a chart...I needed a magnifying glass to see it! I think that you need to be a dedicated knitter to work in fair-isle.  

I really love the finished result but not the making of it, carrying the wool across the back and the counting of stitches does take a lot of dedication to get it right. My finished block was wider at the top than at the bottom, which means I must have carried the wool too tightly across the back.

It would be fun to use it on a small project like a hat or a border for a little sweater or cardigan.  It's not really a difficult pattern but I would say it was fiddly and you are left with 14 ends to weave in.

Rating - intermediate
Curl - 2
size - 6"
ends - 14

More examples of this block

by Appledumpling Loving Hands
by Ftm Loving hands


Progress -  number of different blocks made = 14

Numbers - 14, 17, 24, 30,344041, 42, 45, 5256, 67  98113,
(Click on the number to see the block.)

Number of blocks altogether = 18


Linking with







Have a great weekend. :)




12 comments:

  1. That is a lovely pattern and your work is very neat and flat. I like fair isle put can end up with pulls and holes if I'm not careful.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair Isle...that must be fun but also tough. I started out as a knitter before crochet took over. As I am a "thrower" I find that knitting really hurts my shoulder compared to crochet. Have a lovely weekend. Regards :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look of fair-isle and these are beautiful examples. I am sure I could live to be 150 years old and never learn how to do it correctly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like it, but I am with you all that yarn carrying and counting can become tedious.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister used to swiss darn on top of stocking stitch for small amounts of fair isle rather than carry the wool across the back, sounds like a plan to me haha.
    This is looking neat and your brave effort with fair isle is to be applauded dear Linda, you are braver than me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks very fiddly!!!! But it has a great effect! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really does look lovely Linda, and the colours are so nice together, but I understand about all that carrying over and then the tying off . . . . full marks for patience and perseverance! Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. The good news is you persevered. I certainly don't like difficult patterns. Find it so amazing what some folks are capable of producing. Have a wonderful day. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, that does look special but a bit too fiddly for me. I knitted 2 blocks this week. But they are identical to 2 I knitted a few weeks ago, so I haven't taken any photos. Just one more month to go before I have enough squares to sew into a blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful block. Never tried fair isle for the reasons you said xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been knitting them is strips to save on the sewing up. All will be revealed a.s.a.p.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This block is so cool. Thank you for sharing the blocks that others have made; it is super fun to see them in different colors

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, I will always answer any questions but due to time constraints I'm not always able to reply to your comments, please keep them coming I read and appreciate each and every one. xx