Friday 10 January 2014

Block a Week Friday

I'm so glad to see that the challenge has got off to such a great start and I can see that many have of you have had a very productive week, just take a look at the Knit a Block Link up, so may beautiful blocks have been made already.

 I have two to show you this week, I have selected easy ones to start off with.

I am going to rate my blocks and add any comments or amendments so that you will know what to expect when you make them yourself. 

Rating - how difficult is the pattern, easy, intermediate, hard.
Curl Factor, some of these blocks really curl up when they are knitted so I will rate them on a scale of 1= no curl, 2 = moderate curl, 3 = lots of curl.
Ends = how many ends there are to weave in.


Block 45



A very easy garter stitch block, knitted from corner to corner.  I have made mine in one colour because I intend to make lots of these to place between the other patterned blocks. I altered the pattern to prevent the little holes that appear up the sides.

On the increase  k1, inc in next st, k to last 2sts, inc next st, k1 
On the decrease, k1, k2tog to the last 3sts and k2tog, k1 and hey presto no holes.

Rating = easy
Curl factor = 0
Ends = 2


Block 41




Another easy block worked in garter stitch and stocking stitch.  I was half way through this one when I realised that I should have been knitting the first and last stitches on the purl row, I was too lazy to pull it back and it's turned out ok although the edge would have been neater if I had stuck to the pattern. 
Note to self I must read the pattern properly!

Rating = easy
Curl factor = 2
Ends = 10

As I mentioned in the last post I intend to make a sampler blanket with my blocks. I'm still not sure how large I'm going to make it or what blocks I'm going to use, it will be a case of choosing which ever I fancy as I go along much more fun that way I think.


For this blanket I am using wool from my stash, Marriner Dk acrylic  in shades - 
Cream - Saxe - Sky - Emerald - Turquoise - Mint

Progress
Number of Blocks made = 2


linking with


and
8 grams of yarn busted every little helps!





Have a great Weekend!


18 comments:

  1. I'm new to your blog Linda, I like your scoring system, and the knowledge that some knitting curls, I always thought that I was doing something wrong, so although I say I am not a knitter perhaps I'm not as bad as I feared, so thank you for that. Looking forward to seeing how your blocks and blanket progress! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Amy I'm glad you find it helpful :)

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous idea Linda - such a useful resource- -and the link party looks fab! Keep up the great work!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely blocks Linda! I so wanted and intended on doing his challenge with you all but I just realized you all are using blocks from a book....(silly me) I don't have that book. I guess I will sit on the sidelines again!
    xx Shari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to think of you sitting in the sidelines Shari, have sent you an email. :)

      Delete
    2. Missed your email Linda....and I checked twice...I think it got lost in cyber space. Do you mind emailing it to me again!...")

      Delete
  4. Look at you moving alone so quickly. Lovely blocks Linda.
    hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meredith, but not half as quickly as some of the others. :)

      Delete
  5. Linda: I love this Idea..My knitting skills need to expand. I am going to find this book today. I am impressed that your corner to corner block actually looks square. I have made that many times in baby blankets etc and I never get them square! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise and welcome to the challenge, the reason why it's square is because it's pinned to the board haha, I will add your name. :)

      Delete
  6. Your blocks are very pretty! I like the colors in the second one. You're off to a great start :-)
    Blessings,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blocks love the handing scoring system
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  8. The blocks look great Linda, and good idea with the scoring system. It really does help to have a quick comment on the block to help you choose the next one. Many of the beautiful blocks here are just photos with no comments ... nice to admire them, but it'd be more fun if there was some feedback ;) Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Wendy, most of the pictures are from the ladies from loving hands and some have left some comments and amendments on the forum, so I intend adding everyone's comments to mine when I do the same block as I go along. :)

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, I will always answer any questions but due to time constraints I'm not always able to reply to your comments, please keep them coming I read and appreciate each and every one. xx